So — writers block. As bloggers, we’ve all been there. There’s absolutely nothing more frustrating than wanting to write, or trying to meet deadlines, but having absolutely no idea where to start. Since last year, when COVID hit, I started experiencing writers block WAY harder than I ever had in the past. Pre-2020, while I had rough weeks here and there, I was always able to find SOMETHING to share for each of my Sunday blog posts. However, as a lifestyle blogger, it got challenging to find inspirations when life came to a stop. Many of my posts felt straight up monotonous, and many weeks I felt as though I couldn’t come up with anything at all.
We can all agree that the frustration that writers block creates is just about the worst feeling ever. However, no matter what’s going on in your life in the moment, the reality is as a lifestyle blogger you always have a wealth of source material waiting to be tapped into. Life isn’t just what’s happening in the moment, after all — it can be past lessons learned, goals for the future, little things that make you happy or the hobbies and interests that make you who you are.
That’s why, this week, I decided to compile a list of 100 prompts for bloggers suffering writer’s block. I’ve chosen various topics, from fashion, to wellness, to budgeting or even blogging itself that pretty much covers at least one topic for every type of lifestyle blogger out there. No matter who you are and what your niche is — there’s a prompt in here that’s perfect for you. The prompts vary a little between them — some of them are more open-ended, some are meant to inspire your own fresh ideas for a post on a related topic, and some are meant to be a question that can be answered directly in a simple and concise way. However you interpret these prompts is really up to you — so I hope you enjoy reading through them and getting inspired for your future posts! Feel free to save this post for future reference, as well — so that even if you’re overflowing with ideas now, you’ll never have to worry about your creative well running dry ever again.
Media & Culture Prompts
- A list of the best TV shows for when you’re in a specific mood
- Music recommendations and playlists
- A list of movies that would make the best movie marathons
- Your take on the latest pop-culture drama
- TV shows/Movies/Music everyone should check out regardless of what genres they usually stick to
Fashion & Style Prompts
- Your favourite fashion trends for the upcoming season
- Your fave fashion staples that never go out of style
- Shoes and bags that work with any outfit
- Hair accessory trends for the upcoming season that you love
- Sharing your specific style and favourite clothing items & accessories
Skincare & Makeup Prompts
- What are your favourite brands and why?
- What is your skincare routine?
- What is your everyday makeup look?
- What secret tips do you have for completing your perfect makeup look?
- What’s some skincare advice you’d share with beginners?
Lifestyle and Advice Prompts
- How you’d plan out the perfect self care night
- Your favourite ways to take a break when you’re feeling overwhelmed
- Organization tips and tricks that helped you get your life/living space/time management under control
- Positive mantras and affirmations you use when you’re feeling down
- Activities and advice to help get out of a mental health funk
Blogging about Blogging Prompts
- What did you wish you knew when you started blogging?
- What are some of the best hidden resources for bloggers you know of?
- What did you do that made your blog take off?
- What are YOUR favourite posts to read as a blogger?
- How you started to monetize your blog and grow your reach
Social Media Advice Prompts
- Best locations in your city for Instagram posts
- Best poses for people who hate taking photos
- Best ways to utilize Instagram/Twitter/Pinterest for outreach
- Best apps for perfecting your Insta pics and feed
- How to best utilize Pinterest (seriously, someone please write this! I’ve been using Pinterest for over a year and I still don’t understand how it works)
School and Education Prompts
- Studying hacks that have helped you ace classes
- Your best advice for surviving high school/first year/university
- How to handle tough situations in high school/university
- How to take legible, organized notes
- Your morning routine to ensure you’re ready and organized for the day (+how you wind down at night!)
Work and Careers Prompts
- How did you decide what career to pursue?
- Advice for people joining the workforce right now
- Advice on how to be successful in your specific field
- Secrets about your field the general public doesn’t know
- How to perfect a resume (+anything else related to applying to jobs in your field!)
Friends and Social Situations Prompts
- How to meet new people (+ especially if you’re not meeting people from school, university or work!)
- How to deal with friendship drama
- How to identify toxic relationships
- What do you think makes someone a good friend?
- What are some little things your friends do for you and each other that help you feel loved?
Love and Relationships Prompts
- What was something you wish you knew before your first relationship?
- What advice would you give your 16 year old self when it comes to love?
- What are the best ways to prep for a first date?
- What are some great date ideas for long-term couples looking to try something new?
- How did you know when your partner was “the one”? (+do you believe in soulmates?)
Making It Through Bad Situations Prompts
- What’s something you’ve been through in your life that was particularly challenging? What advice would you have for others facing similar situations?
- What is something you knew about life when you were 16 that you learned the hard way?
- What is some life advice you have for others based on what you’ve experienced in life?
- What was a mistake you made in life that you learned from?
- How has the last year of your life changed who you are or how you view the world?
- What are some life lessons you learned that you’d like to share?
- What was a toxic trait you had that you reflected on and changed?
- How did you learn to break a bad habit?
- How did you become your authentic self (both in person and through your online persona?)
- How have you actively worked to improve yourself? What worked and what didn’t?
Cooking, Baking, and Drinks Prompts
- What’s your favourite recipe?
- How do you make the perfect menu (charcuterie, appies, drinks food or dessert).for hosting dinner parties?
- What are the best recipes you’ve learned since lockdowns?
- What are some great recipes for those with limited time/beginners/people on a budget?
- What are some go-to recipes that never fail you?
Travelling & The World Prompts
- What is your current travel Wishlist?
- What are your favourite places you’ve ever been to?
- Where are the best places for tourists to visit in your city?
- Think of a location you travelled to in the past. Where would you recommend someone visiting there go?
- Where are the best ways you’ve learned to travel on a budget?
Home & Decor Prompts
- How did you decide how to decorate your first apartment?
- How do you find your perfect design aesthetic?
- Where should you start when decorating on a budget?
- What are some cheap/easy decor additions to make your living space more homey?
- Share your apartment decor + specific niche style!
- What are tips they don’t teach you in school about saving money?
- How did you learn to manage your savings and control your spending?
- If you coupon — what are your best tips and tricks for finding the best deals?
- What is your best advice for avoiding unnecessary purchases/compulsive shopping?
- What are they best ways to stay stylish on a budget?
- What is something you wish you knew before entering the “real world”?
- What advice would you give your 16-year-old self about practical, real-life adulting skills?
- What are some secrets about being an adult that no one tells you (or admits to — even when you’re all adults!)
- What are some of the best hacks you’ve discovered for handling adult life?
- What is the best advice you can offer for those in their early adulthood?
Lockdown 2020/2021 Prompts
- How has your life changed over the last year?
- What are your favourite COVID-safe/at home ways to keep in touch with loved ones?
- What are the best new hobbies for those who are looking to try something new?
- What new skills and hobbies have you tried over the last year? Which ones did you like best?
- What tips do you have for maintaining good mental health during bad times?
- What are your favourite hacks to keep your living space organized?
- What products changed your life in terms of staying organized?
- How do you go about keeping your personal space clean, even when you’re at your busiest?
- How do you organize your planner and schedule your daily life?
- What routines do you maintain that help you stay on top of everything?
Health and Wellness Prompts
- What are your favourite quick and easy healthy recipes?
- What are some great exercise routines for beginners?
- How did you get started on your fitness journey? What did you wish you knew before you started?
- What are some realistic ways to stay active and motivated day to day?
- What are your favourite tools (ie. meditating, exercise, sleep) for mitigating stress and maintaining your health?
As always — happy Sunday, everyone! I hope you’ve all been doing well and staying safe. We’re really closing in on one year since COVID lockdowns hit now, which is absolutely insane to think about. This time last year, I was away on Mexico on vacation, life was good and I had absolutely NO idea what was about to hit me in the weeks to come. It’s been a long year, but I’m finally feeling like I’m going to make it out in one piece. How are you all feeling about the one-year anniversary of lockdowns coming up? Drop a comment below and let me know — it’s going to be an interesting and difficult time reflecting on it all, certainly. At the very least, with any luck, we’re nearing the end of the pandemic — so at least we’ll have something to celebrate sometime soon. I, personally, truly believed that lockdowns were going to last two, maybe three weeks at most — and look at us now! If I could go back a year and tell myself what was coming, there’s no way I’d ever believe it.